Friday, February 29, 2008

Random Thoughts...Feeling Sooo Good!

Exercise and Living The Secret- What a combination!
The Rewards: It Does Make you feel Good

Just finished exercising –wow! I feel good. Don’t let anyone fool you. Efficient exercise (we’ll define ‘efficient’ below) does make those endomorphins flow - so that you do experience a ‘feel good’ feeling after a session. The body has been worked; its fully relaxed which communicates to the brain a clear, anxiety free state of mind. It erases all that anxiety,depression or even fear- all those negative feelings that too often fill our minds when we look at the world we live in- at least temporarily. It takes your mind off all that ‘shit’ in the world or things you feel you have to worry about. The more you focus on what you are feeling …the more powerful it becomes…almost like a meditation- the feeling expands and feels better and better and better.

I always felt that the biggest issue I have with yoga classes (I really enjoy them) is that after you have truly and beautifully worked the body with all those wonderful stretches and positions to a point of it feeling gloriously relaxed- we end the session. Some classes do a 1 minute meditation but that’s it. For me its time to meditate here or relax and just focus on those feelings for at least 15 minutes and expand them. It is amazing how deeply one can meditate after an efficient exercise session because the body is so relaxed and will connect so easily now with the mind.

Now add to this that wonderful feeling of accomplishment (I actually did that dreadful exercise) – I know I should do it…even though I hate it… I don’t want to do it…Here’s a pat on the back because I did it. Feels good to put a check next to something on your ‘to do’ list. Doesn't it ? And then what about balancing all that food you shouldn’t eat- its healthy. Yes it does burn calories and fat and its good for you. It certainly makes you look better than you would if you didn’t exercise. And we all know when we look better, we feel better. Call it vanity, but most of us look like shit when we feel like shit.

My efficient exercise session is one where I challenge myself. I do 20 minutes of cardio on the bike or stepper- try to break a bit of a ‘sweat.’ Then I lift weights for another 20minutes (alternating one day my upper body and the next day my lower body). And not to forget the situps- probably about 200- I’m 60 and refuse to watch my mid-section expand- which started around 40.

Tell us about your ‘ideal’ exercise session and how it makes you feel. JOANNE

No comments: