Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Self-Help Book...Is THE SECRET Here to Stay ?

Over 8 million people have read or watched the DVD on The Secret. People swear that it has changed their lives. But will it make lasting change ? Will people actually experience a permanent transformation since learning about The Law of Attraction ? In other words, is The Secret and its principles and teachings here to stay? Or is it just another popular (very, very popular) self-help book?

I love self-help books...I've certainly read my share in my lifetime. They make me feel good. They tend to validate what we are doing; inspire us with ideas for change and give us an insight into human nature if written correctly. Most of all they give us ways to help ourselves change into a better person. And who isn't looking for self-improvement? For discovery and growth?

The problem I've had with almost all self-help books is that immediately after reading them, I am 'gung-ho.' I've highlighted all the most important lines in the book so I can go back and review them; so I don't forget them. Do I go back...no. But for the most part this excitement and talking about the book lasts a few weeks and slowly the book fades in my memory to be forgotten in about 6 months.

I think this is because just reading a book doesn't bring change until you incorporate it into your life and actually experience it. That's why my sister and I wrote a workbook. We truly beleive that learning to live The Secret everyday with the goal of making it part of your life requires active participation or at a minimum personal experience with it. It has to be an interactive experience in which the reader learns by doing. Practice it enough and it becomes a habit- a way of life. Then and only then will it make lasting change in your life.

So in answer to the question.... Is it here to stay? For me the answer is yes. I have committed to and am practicing its principles everyday. For others- I hope so, but that is a personal choice. The key for change is to 'live it.' That can be in any way that works for you as long as you stay focused and live deliberately.

No comments: