Friday, December 28, 2007

'The Secret' of Finding Happiness

Here is one of my favorite quotes from Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

"...that people universally tend to think that happiness is a stroke of luck, something that maybe will descend on you like fine weather if you're lucky enough. But that's not how happiness works. Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it and sometimes travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into the happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it. If you don't you will leak away your innate contentement. It's easy enough to pray when you're in distress but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like a sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainments."

Sorry, but gotta give a plug here because this is the essence of Living The Secret Everyday. It is a workbook that shows you not only how to achieve happiness but rather how to stay happy each and everyday. It is my 'bible' that guides me, teaches me and reminds to stay on the path I want. Joanne

3 comments:

Dr John Curtis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Joanne Scaglione and Suzanne Stitz said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr John Curtis said...

Interesting to note that my comments were removed previously.

I do appreciate you responding to what you see as my focus on the negative. First of all, I approached the The Secret with an open mind having been on a journey of enlightenment since the 1970s it resonated at first. I read the book, watched the entire DVD, and attended an 8 week long class on The Secret with my wife. I then went on to read Wallace Wattles book on making money and the Law of Attraction.

The more I heard, the more troubled I got and, you are correct, I turned negative.

The message of The Secret is full of holes and lies... no where is there evidence that Carnegie, Hill, Churchill, Socrates ever talked about or practiced it. AND no where is there a single study that validates The Secret... it does not hold up to to science despite its claims to be science.

Then I listened to a teleseminar about it and it became clear to me how flawed and even dangerous it was. I have a deal to make with you, as you can see, I have done a lot of research on The Secret to arrive at my conclusions.

Would YOU be willing to take 75 minutes to listen to my side of the story??? Go to this website... http://www.selfhelpfraud.com/History_of_Self-Help_.html

... and click on the link that says... Critical Analysis of The Secret mp3

You will hear a 75 min. long teleseminar by three experts who offer some very objective information about The Secret.

Then, after you listen, please contact me again... I would genuinely like to keep our dialogue going and learn your response.

Be well.

John